A little update…..after last year was pretty much a year without any new music from me, I’ve been working very hard in the studio on various projects. Firstly, we finished mixing the incredible new Opeth album a few days ago, keep an eye on their website for details on that. Mikael and I also took the opportunity while he was here to finish writing our collaboration album – there’s still a lot of recording work to do, but this should definitely be out in early 2012. The new SW solo record is still on track for September release, and I think the next two King Crimson remixes (Larks Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black) will be out around the same time. I’m now working on new stereo and 5.1 mixes of another very famous 70′s progressive album for a deluxe reissue this year, can’t say more about that just yet. Last but not least, over the last year I worked on and off on a new Bass Communion album called “Cenotaph”, which is a kind of sequel to Ghosts on Magnetic Tape – news on when this will be released when I have it. I think that’s enough for now! Off on tour with Blackfield soon.
It’s been a while since the last update but I’m back on it now! Here’s a summary of what’s been happening since the last post. 2011 is going to be a great year for Steven Wilson fans.
- The new Blackfield album is out on 28th March, called Welcome To My DNA. A new Blackfield website has been launched with some sound samples and various tour dates in the UK, Europe and USA have been announced. You can pre-order the album here.
- A small collaboration with Sand Snowman has been recorded for the 100th release on Tonefloat records. “It takes the form of a deluxe cloth bound 108 page book vinyl edition, featuring many of the artists that have helped to define the ToneFloat sound over the last few years collaborating in different combinations.” It can be pre-ordered here.
- 28th February will see the release of a box set on Esoteric / Cherry Red documenting Delerium Records, the label set up by Richard Allen at the start of the 90′s to cater for Richard’s love of psychedelic music. Among the very first signings to the label were Porcupine Tree, who released 4 studio albums on the label between 1992-96. “The Last Daze of the Underground” is a 3 CD box set that includes the rare short version of “Radioactive Toy” (different intro and guitar solo), and the title track of Signify, as well as tracks from many of the other bands that released music on Delerium Records, and a detailed booklet containing the history of the label
- A Porcupine Tree iPhone/iPad app is in the works for Feb/March
- SW’s 2nd solo album will be released in September
- The rumoured collaboration between SW and Opeth’s Mikael Akerfeldt is finally due to be released near the end of this year.
Posted by SW on Facebook:
Hello folks – thanks to everyone in the USA that came to see us on the Coheed and Cambria tour, especially anyone that came to see Coheed and was seeing Porcupine Tree for the first time. The idea of us doing the tour was to try to reach a younger audience, and that was certainly the way it panned out, though only time will tell how many were converted to the PT cause. There are a few video clips from the tour, check out our twitter stream for the links.
Next we will be going to Greece (first shows there in 5 years), then to New York, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, and finally finishing up at the Royal Albert Hall on 14th October with a 3 hour show including a lot of music from the 90′s we’ve not played before, or never played with Gavin (that will be the show we do in NYC too). Following that I’ll be returning to the studio to continue working on 3 new studio records already in progress (SW solo album 2, Blackfield III, Akerfeldt/Wilson “Storm Corrosion”), all to be released throughout 2011.
You can now order the Blackfield DVD from the Burning Shed online store.
Filmed at the Bowery Ballroom in a snowbound New York earlier this year, this is Blackfield’s first DVD and includes the full performance of 18 songs. The audio was recorded and mixed by SW into stereo and 5.1 surround sound, and the film was edited by Lasse Hoile. Also includes the promo videos for the three singles from the debut album.
Preorder now – released 15th October.
The latest edition of Carbon Nation includes several news snippets detailing upcoming new and re-releases. This post summarises those releases. For full details, buy a copy of issue 7 of Carbon Nation from only £3.00 (UK shipping). See this post for contents.
- September – Bass Communion Pacific Codex
- 1st October 2007 – Porcupine Tree Nil Recurring EP
- 1st October 2007 – Porcupine Tree FOABP DVDA
- 3rd October 2007 – Porcupine Tree FOABP LP
- 15th October 2007 – Blackfield UK DVD
- 6th November 2007 – Blackfield USA DVD
- February 2008 – Porcupine Tree Lightbulb Sun re-issue (CD stereo, DVDA stereo, DVDA 5.1 & 2LP)
- February 2008 – Porcupine Tree Recordings re-issue
- Early 2008 – First SW solo album
- Early 2008 – Cover version 5
You can now watch a 4 minute preview of the forthcoming Blackfield DVD on this page! The DVD was recorded at the Bowery Ballroom, NYC on 16th March 2007, and is set for release on 15th October in Europe and 6th November in the USA, through KScope/Snapper. The DVD, entitled “BLACKFIELD:NYC – Live in New York City”, includes the whole concert edited by Lasse Hoile, with sound mixed into stereo and 5.1 surround sound by Steven Wilson.
The Blackfield DVD recorded at the Bowery Ballroom, NYC on 16th March 2007, is nearing completion and is set for release on 15th October in Europe and 6th November in the USA, through KScope/Snapper. The DVD, entitled “BLACKFIELD:NYC – Live in New York City”, includes the whole concert edited by Lasse Hoile, with sound mixed into stereo and 5.1 surround sound by Steven Wilson.
The full track listing for the DVD is:
2. Miss U
5. The Hole In Me
6. 1,000 People
12. Open Mind
13. My Gift of Silence
14. Where is My Love?
15. End of the World
17. Once (encore)
18. Cloudy Now
Want to be in the new Blackfield video for Once?
What we need are pictures and video clips of YOU, couples in love, or in other situations that are related to being in a relationship, happy or sad – be creative. Use your mobile phone, video camera or what ever at hand to take snaps or record you and your partner.
Pictures must be at least 720 x 576 pixels 72dpi – but no greater than 4mb in size.
Help us make this a very special video!
Please send your files here : firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE FOR CONTRIBUTIONS IS 10TH JUNE.
Please note that by submitting video or photographic materials, you consent to their potential use for public broadcast;additionally, you warrant that persons depicted in the photographs or video footage have given you permission to use their likeness for the purposes of public broadcast. By submitting video or photographic material to us, you expressly waive any future claims, monetary or otherwise.