porcupine tree concluded 18 months of touring fear of a blank planet with a short european tour in october 2008. both shows at the 013 in tilburg were filmed and highlights were released as the acclaimed “anesthetize” film on dvd and blu-ray in may 2010. tonefloat are now making available the complete audio soundtrack on vinyl as a lavish 20-track four disc set in separate picture sleeves, and housed in a deluxe hardback box, complete with 12x12inch booklet. the soundtrack was previously only available on cd in the long sold out deluxe book edition of anesthetize, and like that edition the vinyl set includes a bonus track prodigal that is not featured in the film, making a total of 2 hours 15 minutes of music across 8 sides of vinyl. this release is strictly limited to 3000 copies only, and will be deleted once sold out. the release date is set for 21st june, and anesthetize can be pre-ordered now from the tonefloat store.
please note: we realise that a heavy box like this (over 2 kilograms) costs a fortune to ship overseas, but for the occasion (and for the pre-order phase only), we have lowered the rates for the 2-5 kilogram section for both the airmail and registered airmail rates for non european customers.
It’s been a while since the last update but I’m back on it now! Here’s a summary of what’s been happening since the last post. 2011 is going to be a great year for Steven Wilson fans.
- The new Blackfield album is out on 28th March, called Welcome To My DNA. A new Blackfield website has been launched with some sound samples and various tour dates in the UK, Europe and USA have been announced. You can pre-order the album here.
- A small collaboration with Sand Snowman has been recorded for the 100th release on Tonefloat records. “It takes the form of a deluxe cloth bound 108 page book vinyl edition, featuring many of the artists that have helped to define the ToneFloat sound over the last few years collaborating in different combinations.” It can be pre-ordered here.
- 28th February will see the release of a box set on Esoteric / Cherry Red documenting Delerium Records, the label set up by Richard Allen at the start of the 90′s to cater for Richard’s love of psychedelic music. Among the very first signings to the label were Porcupine Tree, who released 4 studio albums on the label between 1992-96. “The Last Daze of the Underground” is a 3 CD box set that includes the rare short version of “Radioactive Toy” (different intro and guitar solo), and the title track of Signify, as well as tracks from many of the other bands that released music on Delerium Records, and a detailed booklet containing the history of the label
- A Porcupine Tree iPhone/iPad app is in the works for Feb/March
- SW’s 2nd solo album will be released in September
- The rumoured collaboration between SW and Opeth’s Mikael Akerfeldt is finally due to be released near the end of this year.
The last major missing piece of the Porcupine Tree back catalogue is finally available again. “Recordings” was originally compiled in 2000 in order to help us finance a tour (touring lost us money for many years), and although it was mainly a collection of leftover songs from Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, I think I much prefer it to at least the latter of those 2 albums. It has some personal favorites, including Cure For Optimism, Buying New Soul, the full 14 minute version of Even Less, and Access Denied. It’s going to be issued on 23rd August by KScope, totally faithful to the original edition (no remastering even), but in a digibook sleeve.
It’s up for pre-order at the PT Store now.
There’s a brand new video for Bonnie The Cat to feast your eyes upon from today. You can see the video right here.
Last year Porcupine Tree released their latest album The Incident. The album marked another step forward in the incredible journey of the band from a solo studio project created by Steven Wilson in the late eighties to a grammy nominated act and one of the world’s most revered live bands, currently selling out arenas across the globe and wowing fans with their incredible performances.
Anesthetize is a 2 disc set (DVD + Blu-Ray) which captures the power of band’s live show. Recorded in high definition on multi-cameras over two nights at 013 venue in Tilburg, Holland in October 2008, the concerts featured tracks from throughout the band’s career until that point.
Anesthetize collects the highlights from the two shows and presents them on both DVD and on Blu-Ray. It is only the band’s second DVD release and these are the last few remaining copies of the special limited digibook editions. A jewel case version will be available when stocks of the digibook run out.
This download comprises a complete 2 hour live performance from the Fear of a Blank Planet tour.
The show was recorded and mixed to the usual PT standards in order to provide material for a planned live album, but when the decision was taken to film much of the same repertoire in Holland for a major DVD release instead, the Atlanta recording ended up back in the vault.
Now PT have now decided to make it available in complete form as a download only release in order to raise funds for Mick Karn’s treatment for cancer. Although the repertoire is similar to that on the Anesthetize DVD, the performance has its own atmosphere, and also includes the first ever officially released live recording of “A Smart Kid”.
The mp3s are high quality 320kbps files and there is a break between tracks 8 and 9 in case you want to burn your own 2 CD set, for which Carl Glover has also provided CD artwork.
Please note that all Porcupine Tree’s profits from the sale of the Atlanta download will go directly to the Mick Karn Appeal. Burning Shed’s profits will go to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Tonefloat now have a number of In Absentia releases in Vinyl, including a limited edition.
Porcupine Tree’s Recordings will be reissued on 6th September on KScope – a straight reissue, there won’t be any bonus tracks or remastering.
Now available, a limited edition of 300 optical crystal blocks measuring 60mm by 80mm by 30mm with THE INCIDENT cover art actually engraved INSIDE the crystal using state of the art sub-surface laser engraving techniques. At a different ‘layer,’ the pieces are numbered 1/300, 2/300 … 300/300 making each one unqiue. Each block comes in a black, satin-lined gift box.
These are available on a First Come, First Served Basis and can be ordered by visiting:
The long awaited DVD of the band’s performance in Tilburg is now ready in both DVD and Blu-Ray formats. The tracklist for DVD/Blu Ray is as follows
1. Intro / 2. Fear of a Blank Planet /3. My Ashes / 4. Anesthetize / 5. Sentimental / 6.Way Out of Here / 7. Sleep Together / 8. What Happens Now? / 9. Normal / 10. Dark Matter/ Drown With Me / 12. Cheating the Polygraph / 13. Half-Light / 14. Sever / Wedding Nails / 16. Strip the Soul / Dot Three / 17. Sleep of No Dreaming / 18. Halo / Outro
Extras (on Blu-Ray only) 1. Way Out of Here (live film directed by Lasse Hoile) / 2. My Ashes (live film directed by Lasse Hoile) / 3. Wedding Nails (live film directed by Lasse Hoile) / 4. Strip the Soul / Dot Three (live film directed by Lasse Hoile).
Prodigal is the bonus track on the audio CDs.
Check out the pre-order page for more details.
You can take a look at the Anesthetize trailer here.